Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Oh Birds of My Soul....

It was love at first sight when I spotted this fabric at Joann's. I knew I had to find a project to display it on!
My Mamaw (which is southern for Grandmother...lol) had a great, old rocking chair she needed repaired and upholstered so I knew instantly this is the fabric we should use on it! My Mamaw agreed, so me and my aunt deconstructed and repaired the chair in our upholstery class.
We added new webbing underneath the chair to reinforce the new springs we put in. Next we tied off the springs and I filled all the cracks and deep scratches with wood filler. Then it was time to sand it down!
After lightly sanding the rocker, we knew we wanted to just restore the natural wood, so I rubbed on Howard Restor-A-Finish with steel wool. The key with using this product is working in small areas at a time and wiping off the excess Restor-A-Finish with a clean rag after you rubbed it in with the steel wool.
After going over the whole chair with Restor-A-Finish, I let it dry overnight and then waxed it with Howard Feed-N-Wax. Again, work with this in small areas and rub in with a cotton rag then go back over with a clean rag and wipe off the excess. This stuff smells amazing and makes your wood surface so smooth! This was my first time using the Howard brand products and I will definitely be using them again on future projects!
That old rocking chair was really shining after this rub down!
Next came building back the chair with new foam, cotton and batting.
Now time for that beautiful bird fabric I had been waiting for!
I trimmed the fabric from the seat and finished the edge with a brown decorative trim. The old foam back cushion was still in good shape so I sewed a new cover for it and placed it on the chair. This is the finished rocking chair when it was delivered to my Mamaw's house. She LOVED it! 
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment