Wednesday, June 24, 2015

DIY: Easy Turban Style Headbands

I have invested a small fortune in headbands to wear at the gym and on my four wheeling trips but every last one of them end up slipping off my head. I can never keep them on, even the ones advertised as non-slip! I thought I'd try making my own out of jersey knit fabric so I could customize it to my head size. After a little trial and error I finally came up with a headband that fits perfect and best of all no slippage!! It stays in place all day!

You can make your own too with these simple steps. First pick out some cute jersey knit fabric out of your stash or from your local fabric store. You can also upcycle t-shirts from your closet!
Next I cut 2 strips of fabric 5" wide by 21" long. This is the length that worked best for my head but you can always measure around your head to get a size better for you. Remember the jersey stretches so I cut mine a little smaller than my actual measurement. You can also play around with the width of the headband to make it wider or thinner to best suit your style.
Fold each strip length wise, right sides together and sew a straight stitch the entire length to create a tub. While sewing your straight stitch take your time and go slow because the jersey will shift on you and want your seam as straight as possible.
Turn the fabric tube so the right side of the fabric is facing out.
Next lay each strip of fabric, with the seam in the middle, in a plus (+) shape.
Fold the vertical strip over the horizonal strip until the ends meet.
Then fold the horizonal strip over so its ends meet. So both strips are interlocking.
Bring all 4 ends together and sew a straight stitch to close off your headband. 


Trim off any excess fabric and flip right side out! That's it, a super quick, super cute headband that's perfect for summer! With all the cute fabrics out today the possibilities as endless! We will have an Etsy Shop coming soon with a variation of this headband as well as many other homespun and redone creations! 
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment