Thursday, July 9, 2015

Family Hand-Me-Downs and Flea Market Finds...


On a recent trip to my local Flea Market, I found this cute little round side table. I hadn't seen one like it before, and thought it could be a cute bedside table or look great in an entry way.
It had several knicks and dings, so I thought it best to sand out a few, but keep some because it gave the piece character. Sanding it turned out to be a lot of work.
 
I got it all put back together and decided to paint it light blue. I found a DIY recipe for homemade chalk paint, and gave it a try. It took 2 coats of paint and then 1 coat of wax. I didn't want to distress this piece. I liked just the clean paint with all the little bumps and dings that added a story of where this piece has been over the past 30 years.
So, I'm feeling pretty good about the job I've done on the table, but it just seemed to look lonely. It needed some dressing up. I dug through some old family junk and came across a bedside lamb straight out of the '60s/'70s that I think may have belong to my twin aunts, but somehow it ended up in my shed.
The green has definitely run its course, so I decided to paint it yellow. Then there was the shade which had obviously seen better days, so I took some cardboard to rebuild the shade and added some cute fabric for a spin of whimsy.



Once I finished the lamp, I put the whole project together. Now the project looked bright and happy!
 
I added a few of my favorite books for decoration, and could not be more pleased with the outcome! Now on to the next flea market find or family hand-me-down....stay tuned!!
 
 
Kelli
 




 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment