Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Fun Hoop Art!

I love decorating my home with homespun decorations and artwork. A cheap and easy way to spruce up any wall is with hoop art. The sky is the limit with what you can do with the inexpensive wooden embroidery hoops that you can pick up at any craft store. Above my bed I have started putting together a hoop art collage. 
On the ones I have hanging so far, I simply cut a square of fabric, placed it tightly into the embroidery hoop and then trimmed the excess fabric. I can't wait to add more hoops to this wall collage to make it a focal point of my room.
This hoop was made by centering up a quilt block I had made in a quilting class and trimming off the excess fabric. This will be a perfect addition to my bedroom wall collage!
To get started making your own hoop art. Pick up any size embroidery hoop and go through your stash of fabric scraps to find some coordinating prints.
I laid the inner ring of the embroidery hoop on my background fabric and marked it on four sides with a red marker so I could better center my design on my fabric.
I cut a variety of scrap fabric I had on hand into bunting flags and strips and arranged them on the fabric to get them aligned.
Then I sewed down the bunting on my sewing machine to create the string of the bunting design.
Place your fabric in the hoop and tighten it up. Then flip it over and trim the excess fabric closely to the edge of the hoop.
I simply love the finished product. A simple, cheap and easy way to add a little homespun charm to your home. 

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment